Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I knew this was coming

It's time.

Time for the Mola vs. Bologna blog.

Background: For those that may be unaware, I spent one month with 6 fellow DU students in Mola di Bari last winter, doing a language internship and basically living a fairy tale lifestyle. This statement alone probably gives away the results of The Great Debate. I need to work on my delivery.

Now that I've now been in Bologna for the same amount of time that I was in Mola I feel like I can be fair when comparing these two separate Italian experiences. Maybe. I've been thinking about this day, this blog, this debate for the past, I dunno, 8 months? Ever since I decided to alter my 5-year plan and turn into a crazy, wide-eyed Italian major I have known this would eventually happen. I've admittedly been quite nervous: what if Bologna somehow bested my beloved Mola? Would that month of my life be made to look foolish, wasteful and even, dare I say it--lame?

Answer:  absolutely not.

 Ok. Here we go.

1. Food
     Mola wins on this one. I know, Bologna is famously nicknamed "la grassa" for all the supposedly great food that's here. Well, I'm here to tell you that I haven't eaten any of this food. I don't have the opportunity to do so with the strange meal plan I have going on at my residence, and even the food I have had outside Camplus hasn't been anything special. I'm just going to say it: Mola's Cuoco Amico (<3 Cuoch's) and Van Westerhaut (<3 Van Vest's) just cannot be beaten. Impossible. Plus, the olive oil and bread in Southern Italy just rocks.

2. Prettiness factor
     Again, Mola secures the top spot. I've given Bologna a chance and will continue to do so, but I honestly don't know why anyone would ever come here. It smells, probably due to all the dog poop on the sidewalk, and it's just generally not pretty or welcoming in my opinion. I mean, if porticos are your thing then by all means come to Bologna because there are more than enough to go around. Mola, however, has a special charm. Maybe it was the Christmas music playing 24/7 from the speakers in the square, the stone roads that turned black and dangerous when it rained, or the contrast of the perfectly blue sky against the cement wall running along the seafront....whatever it was, this X-factor, Mola has it and Bologna doesn't.

3. Ease of travel
     Ok, Bologna gets one point. So far I haven't been disappointed with the train system here except for my propensity to receive fines. Please see the previous entry for further explanation. I love that Bologna has a giant station that allows you to get on a train and go basically anywhere. Plus.
     Mola, on the other hand was a little bit more difficult. We never really used public transportation because a.) we had a giant Ducati aka mini-bus to cart us around dangerously and b.) because we never wanted to leave. This cannot be said for my Bologna experience thus far, as I can't wait to plan my next trip and go see somewhere that actually makes me believe I'm in Italy and not just some strange, smaller version of New York.

4. Focaccia and cioccolata calda
     I know you're thinking that this should go into the "food" category but you're wrong. The first day I was in Mola we were getting a town tour from our professor, and I clearly remember her running into a focacceria and coming out with 5 huge slices of the most delicious thing I have ever eaten. I don't even know what was on it besides some spices from the Gods accompanied by olives and tomatoes. I don't even like olives, that should tell you something. Bologna has not yet provided me with wonderful focaccia and for that I am severely upset, and as punishment Bologna will lose one point.
     And then there's the cioccolata calda: Italian hot chocolate. I think Mola wins on all fronts when it comes to this because I haven't  seen anything that comes close to the heaven that is the Mola Chocolate Bar. For those that do not know, I will just leave it at that and let your imaginations run wild. Just know that Bologna has no chance of winning this one.

5. Emotional attachment
    Now we're getting into something a little less tangible. Simply put: I am not emotionally attached to Bologna. I was, and still am, in love with Mola.

     Bam. Done. Mola wins hands down, NO questions asked. I feel that this is like a David and Goliath situation: small Southern town vs. overbearing Northern giant. Of course we all know how that story ended: David totally dominated Goliath, the same way Mola just destroyed Bologna. Sorry Bologna.

2 comments:

  1. My heart is melting and missing Mola all the more now! Yay for the Davids of this world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is honestly the greatest thing I have ever read. dying in class. point 5 was definitely my favorite. RITORNIAMO ADESSO

    ReplyDelete